Monday, April 9, 2018

New Project: Reviewing Every Star Trek Episode/Movie

Star Trek has been my favorite franchise for most of my life. I first got into Star Trek when I was in the sixth grade because one of my classmates couldn't stop raving about it. I decided to give it a try. Star Trek: The Next Generation was in its run, just finishing up its fifth season. The first episode I managed to watch was "Time's Arrow, Part I" (yes, when it was originally a cliff-hanger. I remember after the episode was over and a rerun was being previewed, wondering why the second part wasn't going to be shown next week.)

I've only ever watched one Star Trek show in its entirety on first-run episodes: Star Trek: Voyager. The Original Series was before I was alive, The Next Generation was a couple years away from ending. I gave Deep Space Nine a try but gave up on it after just a few episodes. I liked Voyager enough to stick with it throughout the entire show (while I was still trying to catch up on The Next Generation reruns). I also liked Enterprise enough to stick with it, but unfortunately during the third season I started working swing shift at work so I missed out on the entire season. Now in the age of DVDs and Netflix, I've managed to watch every single episode and movie Star Trek has ever made. Well, with the exception of Discovery. I'm ambivalent about that show. I saw the first episode of it when it aired on network television and wasn't impressed. It didn't resemble Star Trek at all. At any rate, I plan to watch the entire franchise in broadcast order and review them. After I finish each show (including the movies), I will give a top ten list of what I consider the best and the worst episodes of each show.

This will most definitely be a labor of love, but it will also give me a better idea of which episodes to suggest watching and which to avoid when I learn someone is wanting to give one of the shows a chance. I will begin with the very first pilot, "The Cage," then move into The Original Series. Since there are over 500 episodes and movies in the franchise, I will likely be watching and reviewing them two or three at a time.

Let the viewing begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment